In the past years I had to learn self-care again. I was completely stressed out, focussed on my work at a callcenter and barely had time to meet my friends. During that time I forgot to take care of myself. The anxiety came back and I had more and more depressive periods.
Then a good friend asked me if I’d care about myself and if I had dates with myself. This reminded me on my self care rituals that I had done back in Germany and I had forgotten about them since I was in Ireland.
I incorporated them in my daily life again and had appointments for dates with myself every week since then.
But why is it so important to have time with yourself, you might ask. There are several reasons why everyone should spend more time with self-care.
Self-care is important, and not selfish or thoughtless. It helps you to be more effective and energetic. Avoiding things that make you feel physically and mentally well on a long term, will eat up your confidence and self-esteem.
Self-care is crucial for our physical, emotional and mental well-being and here’s why:
- Know that you are worthy: To have a regular self-care time maintains a healthy relationship with yourself and it will establish more positive feelings, which improve your confidence too. Also, self-care is essential to remind yourself and others that you and your needs are important too.
- A healthy work-life balance: Overwork, and the accompanying stress and tiredness can make you less productive and emotionally depleted. I became disorganised, too. Health problems can occur, from anxiety and depression to insomnia and heart diseases. Taking intermittent breaks (for lunch, calling your mom, or taking a stroll) can help immensely, setting boundaries ensures that you stay motivated and healthy.
- Helps with your stressful life style: While a little dose of stress is a healthy, constant stress can have an unfavourable effect on your mental and physical health. Eating healthy, connecting with a loved one or, practicing meditation cuts down the toxic effects of stress and it improves your mood and increases your energy and confidence levels.
- Live the life you deserve: Life is a treasured gift. You might think know that your load of responsibilities are unbearable — fixing the dryer, mowing the lawn, paying bills. But it’s important to remember that taking care of yourself is also your responsibility. Little things like sipping tea while looking out of the window and watching the birds, enjoying a bubble bath, or reading a book are important for your daily happiness. While things like taking up a new hobby or learning something can make your life more purposeful.
- Better health: Self-care is also about your physical health. It’s also about caring for your physical self, by eating healthy, taking adequate sleep, caring about your hygiene, exercising regularly, etc.
There are many things that you can do for having a bit self – care during your day. From having your favourite tea/ coffee during a break to having a bubble bath.
I have a list of suggestions including some recipes for easy face masks. Just click on this link ( https://bit.ly/2LT0gye ) and download the pdf.